Weight Loss Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The BENEFITS of working out in the MORNING

I am NOT a morning person!! But, honestly, I'm not much of a night person either lol I am BUSY throughout my day, work 8am-5pm, two kids and a husband, chores, college work ... my day's never end! When am I supposed to work out?!?! At the butt crack of dawn?!?!

Well ... yeah :)

There are MANY benefits to working out in the morning! After a bit of online research, this is what I have learned about A.M. Workouts!





IT'S DONE AND OUT OF THE WAY
I get up at 6:00, go pee, make my spark, and hop on the elliptical for 15 minutes (for now, moving up to 20 minutes next week, and so on and so forth). And guess what ... it's done! Before I even 'start my day' my workout is done! No "finding time" later in the day, no excusing my way out of it because I'm busy with this or busy with that! It's simply DONE!

IT BOOSTS MY METABOLISM
When you go to sleep your metabolism slows down, and when you get up in the morning, you gotta wake up your metabolism. The sooner you wake it up, the more calories you burn throughout your day. So getting up and getting the exercise done revs up my metabolism just that much earlier.

CREATE MY OWN ROUTINE
It takes several weeks for your body to adjust to a change and crave that change, so forcing myself to get up and hit the elliptical right now sucks! But before I know it, my body will naturally wake up early and CRAVE the work out!

ENCOURAGES BETTER SLEEP
By not exercising at night, I am allowing my body to relax at night, allowing me to sleep better. Rather than exercising before bed and amping my body up! 

BECOME AN "OXYGEN" ADDICT!
I'm a coffee fiend! But scientific studies show that oxygen is a much better boost for your brain and your energy levels. So working out in the morning gives me the energy and the mental focus that I need, and I'm not being dependent on caffeine!

EXERCISE BEFORE EATING
Though tests are preliminary, it is believed that exercising before you eat increases the efficiency of calorie burning throughout your day. It can help when "over indulging" in food for whatever reason (holiday's, birthday weekend, screw it day). It also helps maintain healthy insulin levels (diabetes runs in my family, so this is a concern of mine).

IT'S GOOD FOR YOUR MIND
By taking the time first thing in the morning, I am alone! No kids pulling on my pant legs, complaining about chores, or husbands fighting for my attention through organizing, homework, and cooking dinner. It is my time to work out. Let me repeat first part ... it is MY time! I get to plug in some music, rock out a bit, and simply think. Think about my day, what's to come, plan things out, and mentally prepare myself!

So, what have I learned?! Working out in the morning (no matter how  much I have the morning) is SO good for my health! THIS is why I am going to stick with it! :-)




REFERENCES







No comments:

Post a Comment